In today's digital age, hiring remote developers has become a popular trend for businesses looking to scale their IT operations.
Remote developers provide businesses with the talent and expertise they need without needing a physical office or geographic proximity. Even if you have a physical office, hiring remote developers provides several noteworthy benefits.
In this article, we'll explore the main benefits of hiring remote developers, why full-time remote developers are better than contractors, and the six steps to follow when you hire remote developers for your team.
The main benefits of hiring remote developers
There's a reason that companies like Coinbase, Facebook, Adobe, GitHub, Slack, Shopify and more rely on remote developers. There are several reasons, actually.
- Access to a larger talent pool – When you hire remote developers, you're not limited by geography or the growing talent shortage. You can access a larger talent pool of developers from different regions, cultures and backgrounds. This allows you to truly hire the best talent from all over the world.
- Cost savings – Hiring remote developers can be a cost-effective solution for businesses. You don't need to pay for office space, equipment or other overhead expenses. Additionally, you can often find qualified developers in countries where the cost of living is lower, which means you can save money on salaries.
- Increased productivity – Remote developers are often more productive than their office-based counterparts. They have fewer distractions and can work in an environment that suits them best. Additionally, when you hire developers in other time zones, you can have people working around the clock to finish up projects.
- Added flexibility – Hiring remote developers can give you more flexibility in terms of project timelines and work schedules. For example, if you need to scale up quickly for a project, you can hire remote developers to help you meet your deadlines. Also, remote developers may be willing to work outside of traditional office hours to accommodate different time zones.
- Increased diversity – When you hire remote developers from different parts of the world, you bring in diverse perspectives and experiences. This can be valuable for problem-solving and innovation, as well as helping your company appeal to a global market.
Full-time employee vs. contractors
When it comes to IT recruitment, there always seems to be a question of whether to hire full-time developers or temporary contractors. While contractors may seem cheaper, full-time developers are usually the way to go. Here's why.
Employees are more committed to your company and its goals than contractors. They also have a deeper understanding of your business and are more invested in its success. Full-time employees also allow for long-term planning and project management. Whereas contractors are often hired for specific projects or tasks, making long-term planning difficult.
There are also bigger issues like intellectual property protection. Working with contractors is inherently a bigger risk to IP than having full-time employees. There's also the issue of culture. Full-time employees are more likely to fit into your company culture and work well with your existing team. This can lead to better collaboration and more cohesive teamwork.
How to hire developers remotely: 6 steps to hire remote developers
Here are the steps to level up your IT recruitment and hire remote developers.
Step one: Define your needs.
Before you start recruiting, you need to define your needs. What skills are you looking for? What projects will they be working on? What tools and technologies should they be familiar with? What's your budget? What goals are you hoping to achieve by hiring a remote developer? By defining your needs, you can create a clear job description and attract the right candidates.
Step two: Find an ideal location to hire developers.
You definitely want to find developers who are both skilled and cost-effective. As a result, you'll want to search for regions where experienced developers work and live with lowers costs of living. Some top places to consider hiring remote talent include The Philippines, India, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia.
Step three: Set up a local entity in that location (or use an EOR)
In general, to hire international employees, you need to set up a local entity in the region you want to hire. However, if you want to avoid the costs and hassles of setting up your own entity, consider using an Employer of Record (EOR) organization instead. EORs handle all the hurdles of international hiring, including payroll, taxes, HR, and more – for a fraction of the cost of setting up a local entity.
Step four: Consider using an IT recruitment agency.
IT recruitment agencies can help you find and hire the best remote developers. They deeply understand the industry and can provide you with a shortlist of qualified candidates. (Heads up! We offer international IT recruitment to our clients).
Step five: Screen candidates carefully
When you receive applications, it's important to screen candidates carefully. Look for experience, skills and cultural fits. In addition, consider using video interviews to better understand each candidate's personality and communication skills.
Step six: Onboard effectively
Once you've hired remote developers, it's important to onboard them effectively. This means providing them with the tools and resources they need to succeed, such as access to project management software and communication tools.
Hire remote developers with Outstaffer
Hiring remote developers can be a cost-effective solution for businesses looking to scale their IT operations. Remote developers provide access to a larger talent pool, cost savings and increased productivity. If you want to hire remote developers, you can follow the steps above or reach out to us to make it easy.
At Outstaffer, we make it simple to find, hire, manage and equip developers from around the world in just a couple of clicks. We handle the backend hassles like taxes, payroll, compliance and more, so you can focus on what matters most. We also offer all the #WorkFromAnywhere technology your developers need to thrive, including Managed Laptops, Remote Monitoring, Time & Attendance Tracking and more.